Forrest Hergert died July 3, 2013

 Forrest Vadon Hergert went to be with the Lord July 3, 2013.  In Alexander, Kansas, on
March 10, 1922, David and Mary Hergert, along with their thirteen-year-old daughter Irene, welcomed a son and brother named Forrest Vadon into this world.  Five years later, son Donald was born, and the family was complete.
     Forrest's most vivid childhood experience was one of being picked up by a tornado, lifted over a tree, and then gently dropped to the ground.  There was an old pioneer trail on the Hergert farm, and as he studied about their way of life - the hardships and suffering they went through - he realized how much we owe to the pioneers.
     After graduation he served in the Army Air Force as a radar technician.  His group conquered several of the islands and then headed to Japan when the war ended.  His return to the U.S. was a joyful one.
     Shortly after returning home, his mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer.  It was during this time of helping with her care that he felt his call to the ministry, and he spent the next period of his life in preparation.  He graduated from York College in 1951, marrying Anna Kamm December 27, 1949.
     He completed his seminary years in 1954 at Bronebrake in Dayton, Ohio.  From 1954 to 1958, he studied at the University of Chicago, preparing for hospital chaplaincy.  During this same period of time, he served as pastor at Garfield United Methodist Church in Chicago, becoming a member of the Northern Illinois Conference.  Subsequent appointments were: Dolton, IL  - 1958; Forest Park, IL - 1962; Aldersgate, Wheaton, IL -1968; Walnut, IL -1981.  He retired and he and Ann moved to Heber Springs in
     Preceded in death by his entire immediate family, he is survived by his wife Ann; son Paul (Agnes), sister-in-law Marilyn; three nieces; and two nephews.
      "So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord.  For we walk by faith, not by sight.  We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord."  2 Corinthians 5:6-8.
     Visitation was Sunday, July 7, in the First United Methodist Church of Heber Springs with funeral services following, officiated by Rev. Tommy Toombs.  Interment was private.  Arrangements are by Olmstead Funeral Home.