The old glove factory building will reopen as a new business after years of sitting empty
Over three years after the abrupt closing of the The Glove Corporation in Heber Springs, the building is being put back to use with the opening of The Old Glove Factory Market Place this weekend.
On February 4, 2011, The Sun-Times reported The Glove Corporation, which had employed local residents since 1952, was abruptly closing its doors. At that time, they were the oldest manufacturers in Heber Springs and, as reported by then Co-Editor Louis Short, employed 65 people. The Glove Corporation were one of the few dedicated glove manufacturers in the country, especially for fire departments. Safety concerns with those fire gloves and failure to pass inspections caused the company to incur insurmountable costs, resulting in its closure.
Business owner Brenda McDonald renovated the vacant structure and transformed it into what she hopes will be a thriving, centrally located market that deviates from what we normally see in typical vendor/consignment stores by including art and a farmer’s market. McDonald also hopes to make the building available for community functions in the future.